Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Surgery Day!!


After nine horrible months of pain I am so happy to announce it is surgery day! I am getting my gallbladder removed! YAY!

July 3rd I was in the ER for pain. July 8th I was on base seeing a doctor to get a referral for general surgery, but instead I was made to go to GI. Saw Dr. Trevidei on the 15th and he told me I shouldn't be seeing him, but seeing a surgeon. He ordered a Hida Scan and told me to see a surgeon.
I had my Hida Scan (a test where they inject you with radioactive dye to test the efficiency of you gallbladder) on the 22nd. During the scan they injected me with something that made my gallbladder contract. It made me super nauseated and made the pain on my side flare up super bad. After the test was over I knew I was going to end up in the ER so Bart and I went to this little cafe and had breakfast. I ate very little due to the pain and nausea. We ended up in the ER late morning. It was completely empty so they took me straight back. I explained to a very nice doctor what was going on. He ordered me some zofran and dilaud. I had an ultrasound and blood work. Everything came back the same normal as it's always been. The doctor said he was going to admit me to observation because I was still in so much pain and still really sick to my stomach. I got up to the third floor around 3pm and then the vomiting began. I couldn't turn my head with out throwing up. It was quite disgusting. Bart left around 4:30 to get the boys and shortly after I was seen by the in hospital GI. I told him about the hida scan and he had me call to get the results. Luckily I have amazing connections with Sun Radiology and they were able to get the results over with in the hour.  He tried to convince me that it could be a nerve issue. He started me on two different medications just in case. The GI doctor had left before the results came in. It was the regular floor doctor that gave me the results of the hida. My gallbladder is at 36%. Normal is 35% or above. At that point I was highly discouraged. The regular doctor told me that he wasn't going to send me home just yet due to the pain and vomiting. He wanted me to talk to the GI again.
Yesterday I woke up still nauseated, but not vomiting. The GI doctor came in and said that with the hida being in normal range it doesn't exactly recommend surgery, but isn't going to say I can't have surgery either. He said he would let the General Surgeon decided after he talked to me. A while later I told my story yet again. The surgeon said that he can't 100% say that this will fix my pain, but is at least 70% sure.

That leads up to today. It is about 9:50 and my surgery is around 12. I am super excited, but super scared. This is the chick that flaked out of getting her tubes tied due to not wanting to die and leave her kids. I still feel that way, but I really want to be a mom again. I want to be able to get on the floor and wrestle with them. I want to be able to take them to the park when Bart isn't here so we can all run around and me not be in pain the entire time. If the surgery works great I'm cured. If not then there's always the medication option that I've been taking here in the hospital.

anywho. time for gin rummy with the hubby

 

1 comment:

  1. Holy cow I hope you are feeling better now!!! Love you and will be praying for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete